Monday, April 16, 2012

Return to Japan - Weeks 1 & 2 (March 29, 2012)

It is hard to believe that I today is two weeks since my return to Okinawa.  It seems like yesterday that I was home visiting with all of you.  My five weeks in the states flew by so quickly, but I was able to spend quality time with so many friends and family members and take care of some business too.  On Wednesday, March 14th I flew on a commercial flight from HBG to Seattle arriving around midnight, I checked in at the AMC and USO offices.  Staying awake in the airport overnight is the hardest part, waiting and waiting to find out if you make it on the Space A flight.  Roll call was at 5:30 am, at which time we were all told that there was room for the 22 of us go - but if anyone else showed up that was on duty we could be bumped.  I was #15 in line (based on rank & reasons for travel there are categories to determine the order for Space A travelers).  They allowed the first 11 to go ahead and the rest of us were told to wait.  We saw others on duty checking in and knew that some of us would get bumped.  They came back and said only the next 3 in line made it on the flight - 12, 13, and 14.  Luckily for me #13 was a no show which meant I got that person's seat and was the last one chosen to be on the flight.  Jake and I were so happy that we didn't have to rush to make alternative plans and that soon I would be on my way.  38 hours later (51 if you count time zone changes) and in desperate need of a shower I was back in Okinawa!  

The first week back was pretty uneventful.  We spent most of the time getting back into our normal routines, especially since Jake had recently returned from Korea as well.  During my time in the US, I had become accustomed to being able to drive everywhere and had to readjust to my pedestrian life style here.  I forgot how tiring it can be to walk 3 miles to get groceries - especially on the way home carrying them up hill to our place!  Jake and I are also focusing on our training for the Great Wall Half Marathon in May and have been spending time most days preparing for that goal. Several days a week, in addition to our running, we have been doing stairs - endurance rounds at Stairway to Heaven and speed work at another location. In the two weeks since I have been back I have logged 33 miles walking/running, 45 miles on my bike and 5760 stair steps.  Some days I have to take naps due to physical exhaustion, but my younger, in-better-shape, Marine husband doesn't miss a beat!

Week two brought us to Kadena Air Force base where we are dog sitting for friends.  Life with a dog has been a huge adjustment for me!  Being on base is a nice change and we have made friends with some of the neighbors and their children.  This week I also started taking Japanese II Language class.  I realized how much I forgot from the first class and from my time home in the states when I wasn't speaking it.  I really enjoy the class and our Sensei is a real gem!  She teaches us so much about the culture as she teaches us the language.  The weather this week has been beautiful with spring like temperatures, warm sun and cool breezes.  We are hoping to go out this weekend to explore some new places.  We are sure to have some adventures to share with you next week.   

Until then,
Yoi ichi nichi o!

Natasha and Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment