Thursday, April 19, 2012

Okinawa Week Eight (originally posted Jan 27, 2012)

Cirque Dreams world tour was performed this past weekend on Camp Foster.  The admission to the show was free and thousands of people came out to see the show.  The lines and process for gaining access to the shows was not organized and frustrated the many who were attempting to see the show.  Even with four performances not everyone was able to gain access.  We were fortunate to see the show after waiting approximately 5 hours.  It was fabulous.  We loved every minute of it.  I had a hard time deciding what acts to upload to share with you since were impressed by every act!  I have uploaded more to my Youtube page if you have any interest in viewing them.

We have been making some new friends here on the island and were able to have lunch with one couple and their two children Sunday after church.  The restaurant they choose has a "vending" type machine at the entrance where you put in YEN and then push buttons for the food you would like to order.  A "ticket" prints off for each item you ordered.  You take the tickets with you to your table and then they bring out your food as it is prepared.  We both really enjoyed our meals and plan to go back  - which is a first for all of the Japanese restaurants we have tried.  Also this week we had another couple over for dinner.  Jake remarked afterwards that it was good to see me in "my element" - referring to the fact that like to prepare dinner and entertain guests at our home.  

The big excitement for me this week was Japanese Language class.  Our instructor said it takes about 500 hours to master Japanese and that each of the three level classes taught on base are only 6 hours.  Each day approximately 30 students attended the 1 1/2 hour class.  While I have learned only a limited amount in the 6 hours of instruction, I felt like I had learned so much!  We learned pronunciation, vowels, sounds, numbers, counting, sentence structure, questions, greetings and so much more!  Each day I try to say something to the Japanese people we encounter.  I can't wait for the level two class in March!


No comments:

Post a Comment