Thursday, April 19, 2012

Okinawa Week Nine (originally posted Feb 1, 2012)

This past weekend was Cherry Blossom Festival time here in Japan.  I know back home we have several more months until the blossoms are ready to bloom.  We decided to take the tour offered by MCCS, instead of driving on our own.  We traveled to Nago Central Park and climbed the stairs (about 500) to the top of Mt. Jingamori.  Due to the cooler temperatures we have been experiencing the cherry trees were not yet in full bloom, but it was still a beautiful sight to see all the trees starting to blossom.  The event hosted street vendors, games, musical talents on stage, street performers and on Sunday there was a parade.  

Some of you know that it has been a dream of mine to run on the Great Wall of China.  Jake and I registered this week to run the Great Wall Half Marathon in May.  We both are preparing for the mileage of the race, but know that a big part of the race is all of the steps you must climb.  In fact, two days prior to the race, they have everyone walk to the top of the steepest section of steps to prove you can do it.  Here in Okinawa we have heard of this place called the "Stairway to Heaven" - luckily this week I found someone to drive me to it so we would know where it is.  There are 270 steps to the top and like the Great Wall, the steps are not all of the same height, width, and distance apart.  Yesterday was a beautiful day, so I decided to see how far it was to the Stairway from our apartment (and to see if I could actually find it again on my own).  It is about three and quarter miles to the Stairway.  At the bottom I thought - "this doesn't look that hard" - and I was completely wrong!!!  I started running and around 50 steps up I decided to walk the rest of the way.  I was huffing and puffing until I got to the top.  We will have some major stair training to add to our workouts.  A friend told me that her friend did GWM last year and by the end of her training she was able to run the Stairway 14 times in a row.  I only hope I can achieve a fraction of that.

One fun fact for the week.  You know at home when the ice cream truck is driving around the neighborhood how it plays music.  Well here - we haven't seen an ice cream truck - but the garbage trucks play "courtesy" music when they are driving around picking up the trash.

It is hard to believe that I will be flying back to the states tomorrow. I am excited to come home and the simple things like being able to drive my car, watch TV, read road signs & menus and use my I-phone!  I am not looking forward to being apart from my loving husband, to the long trip home or to the cold weather.  Some have "promised/threatened" that it will snow while I'm home!  Time here has flown by.  I have learned a lot about myself, my husband and the culture here in Okinawa. I look forward to visiting with many of you in the upcoming weeks while I am home on leave.  Please pray for safe travels for me back to the US and for Jake as he soon will be leaving for Korea.  

A big thanks to everyone for your continued support.
Natasha and Jake










No comments:

Post a Comment