Monday, April 16, 2012

Return to Japan Week 4 (April 13, 2012)


This past Saturday, Jake and I spent the afternoon exploring Toguchi Beach Park in Yomitan.  At low tide you can walk out really far on the beach floor, maybe several hundred yards at some places.  The park was full of people exploring and looking for treasures on the beach floor.  The rock structures are maybe 15-20 feet high.  Like most parks on the island, there are numerous trails to explore and shrines dot the landscape.  We were able to walk under the rock structures and into caves.  After our adventures exploring we spent the evening at a Luau, hosted by our friends who we were dog sitting for during their trip to Hawaii.  My favorite part of the evening (besides the traditional Hawaiian food!) was seeing the neighbor girl in her Hawaiian grass skirt and coconut top.

Sunday, after a moving Easter service at church, we headed to Comprehensive Park for the church picnic.  The park encompasses several hundred acres full of every sport field imaginable, a lake, swimming facilities, several sports domes (like Hershey Park arena/stadium), hiking and jogging trails and so much more.  Jake and I helped hide Easter eggs for all the kids and Jake enjoyed kicking the soccer ball with our Pastor's son.  

This week I started volunteering at the United Service Organizations commonly referred to here as the USO.  I am volunteering at the USO on Futenma Air Station, which is about 35 minute walk from our place.  On Wednesday evening I helped serve dinner to 68 marines for Free Movie and Dinner night and Friday morning I helped prepare over 200 pancakes and sausages for a unit breakfast.   It was tough getting up at 4:30am, but rewarding to be helping and serving others.  Thankfully my wonderful husband also got up early and drove me there so I wouldn't have to walk.  

I thought it would be fun to teach you a little Japanese each week.  It helps me practice too!  "I" in Japanese is pronounced "E".  Most of you know Konnichicwa - which means "good afternoon".  "Good Morning" is Ohayo Gozaimasu.  "Good evening" is Kombanwa.

Until next week.



Natasha and Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment