Thursday, April 19, 2012

Okinawa Week Three (originally posted Dec, 24 2011)


Last Saturday morning we started out on our next adventure - to hike Mt. Katsu.  As normal, the road we were looking for ran in several different directions, but after passing the turn off three times we found our way to the trail head.  The first few steps of the trail reminded me of hiking at home, but soon the "trail" was hard to see, as it was mostly sharp rocks that you had to climb over.  There were several sections of the trail that had greens - huge leaves some over 3 feet long and bamboo.  Half way up the mountain it started to rain.  Once at the top you can see a panoramic view that goes for miles (see link to videos below from our hike and photos on Facebook).  We had a picnic lunch but didn't stay long because of the strong winds.  On the way back down, the rocks had become slippery due to the rain and in typical Natasha fashion, I found myself not once, but twice on the ground.  The second time I landed on a sharp rock and instantly knew that I had landed on my tailbone.  By the time we had gotten to the car, I had to lay down because I physically was not able to sit!  On the way home, we stopped at Cape Manzamo along the coast where they have a trail you can walk and see the beautiful rocks that the water has carved over time.  

On Monday Jake had duty which is a 24 hour shift 7am until 7am and then he worked his normal shift on Tuesday.  It was my first night at home here in Okinawa, so I decided to start preparing for Christmas with some holiday baking. We have an efficiency style oven that a 9X13 pan does not even fit inside, so I did my best to make a few kinds of cookies for everyone to enjoy.  It was no where near the mass amounts of cookies that my mother and I used to bake!  On Friday, Jake's unit hosted a holiday meal/party for everyone and their families (around 200 people).  It was nice to meet the different people that he works with on base.  Friday evening as part of my Christmas gifts from Jake, he surprised me by taking me on a Christmas dinner cruise.  We took a bus to the port at Naha where we boarded the boat with about 50 or so others.  They had a buffet of side dishes with some traditional Japanese items and then a huge amount of french fries!  The main meal was served in courses: shrimp, salmon, steak and then a small dessert.  Most Japanese do not celebrate Christmas as many are Shinto Buddists.  Here on the island the commercial side of Christmas is everywhere on and off base as they try to sell to the many Americans stationed here.  My favorite Christmas tradition has always been caroling with my family.  My mother's parents started this tradition 70 years ago and this year being away it was what I knew I would miss most (that and the great food/desserts my family makes for the holidays!) We were most blessed this holiday to be able to call my family while they were caroling and were able to listen in to the beautiful harmonizing songs being sung.  It was a small piece of home.  A special thank you to those of you who sent us cards and care packages this holiday.  We both love getting mail and feeling the love from all of you our family and friends at home in the states.  



We wish you a blessed Christmas!  
Natasha and Jake

Panoramic View from the top of Mt. Katsu

Short Clip of the trail on Mt. Katsu

No comments:

Post a Comment